October 21, 2008

the gratitude tree


{thank you for the prayers on Josiah's behalf :: he continues to improve}


It's nothing much really :: a few twigs and branches from outdoors, gathered by the children, an old jar, some river rocks & torn scraps of paper.

And yet, there's so much more represented than the materials used for creating.

For my husband's birthday recently, we opted out of traditional card giving and the children and I made this gratitude tree instead. All five of us sprawled out across my bed with paper and markers thinking of ways we're blessed and grateful :: for him. Daddy. My gift from God.

The activity had us reminiscing about ways he's made us laugh or stories that we'll never forget. Older children shared with the younger of happenings long before their time and we all shared in celebration. That evening we enjoyed a dinner of some of his favorites, and gratitude was expressed as he read the scraps of paper ::

"You're the ROCK of the family, Dad!"

"I love you, Daddy. I like when we go on walks together."

"Thank you for taking me on a business trip with you."

"You are an exceptional father."

"I like when you throw me up in the air--thank you!"

No, no...not just bits of paper, but messages from the heart.


Share/Save/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...