February 5, 2008

Thrifting

Yard sales are on my mind today.

Not the most noble thing to be wondering about, I know. While going about morning activities (which are less today because it's only me and one child), I'm finding myself getting excited about the yard sale season. It doesn't even officially begin around here for another few months, but I'm thinking on it.

I enjoy thrift stores, yard saling (is that a word!?) and consignment stores. I always have and not sure where the trait has been inherited since my Mother did not and still does not enjoy those places. Well, she doesn't like shopping in general. As a child and teenager I went along to the grocery store and it was me who brought the clipped coupons to use! Fun memories that my mother and I still laugh about today. "Wait Mom! This one is much cheaper and I have a coupon!"

Anyway, I think for me it's the thrill of beating the system....is that odd? Of finding a gem in the middle of nowhere for next to nothing. Of not paying full price and squirreling away the extra $$ for other pleasures. My husband says that I will get up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday morning for two things only: an eBay auction or a yard sale.

He's exaggerating of course.

Well....maybe not really. The only other thing I can think of is when a baby needed to be nursed; and I did that half asleep.


So, no yard sales yet, but our local library has a bin available where patrons can drop off magazines they are finished with and others can pick them up for no cost. I was thrilled to find these goodies this weekend! Very recent copies of Southern Living and Cooking Light were poured over and new recipes tried because of course I couldn't wait. Our favorite was Pork Medallions with Apricot Sauce; very simple and I had the ingrediants available. Yummy.

And I didn't even have to get up early....


Share/Save/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...