November 11, 2010

reality check and over-the-top birthday fun

First, the not-so-good news ::

Thanksgiving is in two weeks, I’m hosting extended family, and there is little to no planning done for this event (except that I have managed to earn two free turkeys at local grocery stores).  Serving them frozen would not be a good idea, you think?  The fact that my family plans to visit is causing the children’s excitement to rapidly rise to record levels.  whew.

But their Mama needs a serious reality check and will be breaking out some plans this weekend!  I think I can, I think I can…

On to better news!  Yesterday, we celebrated my birthday :: so refreshing with the request for “just a little quiet” honored in grand ways.  My family gifted me with an outing for the afternoon to be pampered, then to shop alone, and then dinner with simply my husband and I.  Truly over-the-top and leaving me feeling grateful and quite full; the children were so thrilled for me (or maybe they were just happy for a day off school? :) and participated fully in this surprise of a gift.  Saying thank you doesn’t seem enough…

And on my return, cards and gifts were opened and the day closed. 

I am blessed; not only yesterday…everyday.

DSC_0081

:: an older couple in our church blesses me with these hand-delivered, homemade oatmeal lace cookies (dipped into chocolate) every year; I am slightly embarrassed to admit that because I’m a wee reluctant to share these treats, they have begun including different cookies for the rest of the family.  I do give out small bites here and there…

DSC_0063DSC_0065

:: a large box filled with deliciousness from Stonewall Kitchen arrived at our doorstep!  These goodies the whole family will enjoy! :)

DSC_0079

:: and I wasted no time in spending birthday money gifts on fresh crafting supplies I’ve been eyeing for a while.  My rather large collection of scrapbooking and paper crafting supplies is the result of about 13 yrs of birthdays (with a few Christmases thrown in as well).  The children and I spent our free time today trying out the various new ‘toys’!

*******

I record this all here so that my heart will remember….

so that I will always count myself filled to the brim with blessings!


Share/Save/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...